My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Friday, December 09, 2005

23,023

The Glee Club is officially more or less back in business again!

Woo. Yay. See?

I abandoned the blog last month in order to focus on an avalanche of writing projects - namely, my sketch writing class at Second City, and my second go at completing 50,000 words of a new story in 30 days for National Novel Writing Month.

The title of this entry lets you know how well that went.

I fell a mere 27,000-ish words short of the goal, but I don't consider the experience a failure. I had a story idea swimming around in my head for most of this year, and I was able to get it on the page and explore it for a month. I was able to focus on storytelling without constantly humoring my internal editor - I pushed through 60 pages of plot without laboring through countless consultations with Mr. Strunk & Mr. White. I started a story that I will most likely be picking back up once the effects of NaNoWriMo burn-out wear off.

And honestly, I don't see how the champs of this challenge do it. For me, writing 5,000 words a day is a pretty hefty chunk of effort. Writing 2,000 words a day isn't exactly haiku corner either, lemme tellya.

Still, I saw some folks hit their 50,000 word goal within two weeks. When I checked the NaNoWriMo site around Thanksgiving, some folks were up to 80,000 words...I saw one who had over 100,000 going on. Now, to someone like me who was struggling just to hit the 20,000 word mark, flaunting a six-figure word count was out-and-out sadism!

Do these people have jobs? Do they have families or responsibilities? Do they live in a cabin somewhere untouched by outside stimulus? These 100,000 word count people, do they live in lead-lined safe houses, typing their tomes inside a plastic bubble? Who are these people? How can I become more like them? I want answers!

Meanwhile, I am giving great consideration to lodging a modest letter of request to those nice NaNoWriMo people. I think part of my problem with getting 50,000 words written in 30 days is the particular month in which we are given the challenge.

I mean, really. November?

My job was absolutely insane in November. After a day of hacking away at a computer all day in the office, the last thing I want to do when I get home is sit my tired butt in front of a keyboard for the rest of the evening.

And of course, Thanksgiving is in November, along with all its familial obligations and travelling torment...though I shouldn't complain too much about trying to travel and write, considering the fact I knocked out a good 4,000 words waiting for my post-Turkey Day flight home. Still and all, November brings distractions aplenty.

I mean, really. How about August? September? Any month with longer daylight hours and less holidays? I could write in the park or on the beach. I could get a cute little suntan with laptop shaped marks across my legs. I'd create characters who don't wear black cloaks or suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. It would be great.

Or, you know, maybe November was decided upon by a team of scientists in the writing laboratories of Switzerland and the real problem is that I'm just a slow-writing schmoe. Which, really, could be the long and short of it all.

Anyway, all that is over now, my last week of writing class is tomorrow, and I'm ready to spread some damn mirth.

So welcome back to the Glee Club. Don't track in any mud in or else I'm handing you the mop.

2 Comments:

Blogger Franklin said...

I think the six-figure people had assistance from 1,000 monkeys with 1,000 typewriters, and quality of the writing would probably support my theory.

Next year, how about trying meth?

1:59 PM, December 09, 2005  
Anonymous IRV said...

Glad you're back. Did you get to see Kiki & Herb @ Steppenwolf last nite? It was the "Jesus Wept" show for the holidays. I was going to fly in for the wkend, catch the show & spend some time w/ my fav aunt. But alas, the best laid plans get f/up'd.

7:50 PM, December 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home