My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Mr. Type-A Strikes Again

The Glee Club is under attack!




...by my own damn self, that is.

In just a few short days, I'm going to be starting writing program classes at Second City. This means, of course, that every week I will need to prepare a new five-to-ten minute skit for class.

I am very excited about the class, though it may compete a bit with my attempts to regularly update this new blog. On second thought, I write all the time - so if anything, the class will motivate me to post that much more often.

Yet:

November 1 marks the beginning of yet another year's National Novel Writing Month, in which participants attempt to clack their way through 50,000 words of new fiction in 30 days. I've tried my darnedest for the past three years to be a Winning Wordsmith, but the closest I got was 35,000 words. So close.

In the past, this event has been logistically daunting for me. Just as I would pick up steam with my writing and really feel like I was getting my mind wrapped around a full-on fiction piece, the holidays would rear their festive boughs of holly and I would end up sitting on my mother's sofa watching VH-1 throughout Thanksgiving weekend, feeling every last moment of those 50,000 words slipping through my fingers and bouncing off my bloated belly, losing themselves in the sky-blue shag sea of my mom's living room carpet. Woe.

But not this year!

Now that my sweetie has loaned me a laptop and the possibility of writing ANYWHERE has become deliciously real, I'm going to give NaNoWriMo another go. I will write at home. I will write outside on weekends. I will write at my mother's house. I will write at the airport. I will write wherever I damn please, thank you kindly.

While taking a comedy sketch writing class.

And attempting to maintain a new weblog.

Thankfully, I have a plucky, tenacious, can-do attitude.

That said, I'm going to wrap this up and go eat the rest of my Zagnut bar and hope that my bottle of RC hasn't gone flat.

2 Comments:

Blogger dragon knitter said...

i did nanowrimo last year, and fizzled out at 15000 words. the hard part for me is that i write it by hand at work during the day, then type it up at night. whew. last year, on top of all the insane running i had to do (i would leave the house at 7 am, and get home around 10 pm monday through friday, and have my kids all weekend, very insane). i have high hopes for this year, except i'm having trouble developing my characters. wish i had laptop, lol. franklin's a wonderful person

9:23 PM, October 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the word "plucky". So rarely get to use it in a sentence. Good luck on your Holiday quest(s).

Squeak

Read book, watch movie, tell others
www.brokebackmountainmovie.com

2:43 PM, October 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home